Sunday, August 28, 2011

Why another food blog?

Greetings!

My name is Brian. I live in the "coal town" of Shamokin, PA, the self-proclaimed "Gateway" to the Anthracite Coal Region. I grew up not too far from here, in the "coal town" of Frackville, PA, known to many as a stop off of Interstate 81. See a pattern? Of course, I have also lived in Lancaster, PA, Gettysburg, PA, and Northumberland, PA, and none of those are "coal towns".

Growing up and living in the coal region, I can tell you many stories of the people and places, but one thing that I can tell you is that, be it because of low population or just the fact that it's viewed as being "in the middle of nowhere", you don't hear much about this area of the world.

Having just recently moved to Shamokin with my wife Michelle, I wanted to know what kind of restaurants were around the area. At first, I did what I usually do when I want to check out an area- see what the good ol' interwebs have to say.

And frankly, the interwebs didn't have a whole lot of information. Reviews on Yahoo Local were fairly sparse. Urbanspoon? Forget it. Besides, this is hardly an "urban" area. Nothing on TripAdvisor, either. So I thought to myself, "you know, maybe if I start blogging my dining experiences in the area, I can give people information about a restaurant." Plus, now I can call myself a "blogger". I've seen "bloggers" show up on genuine news programs and all kinds of places, so who knows, maybe The Food Network or CNN will come calling (yeah, right).

So, if you happen to find this little page because you want to know what there is to eat in this little corner of the state of Pennsylvania, I hope you find opinions (mine) that might be useful. Of course, no two people agree on anything, so you might not always agree with what I have to say. I hope to be as honest as I can- and let me state that for the record, I am NOT a professional chef or restauranteur. I'm just a guy who likes to eat.

Eat well!
-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment