Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pine Burr Inn- Mount Carmel, PA

A few years ago, I frequented this place for Friday night Karaoke.  It had a good crowd, and people never complained about the food.

Flash forward about five years, and my wife and I are hungry on a Friday night.  Since Mount Carmel is only a short drive from Shamokin, I suggested we check out the Pine Burr Inn.  It sits atop Mount Carmel, overlooking the borough.  It's also a hotel, but I don't know much about its reputation as a hotel.

So we get there, and the sign is nice and bright, advertising a wing special and "KARAOKE TONIGHT"!  The place has tinted windows, but I could see light from the outside, so it appeared to be open.

I pull at the door, and it's not budging.

Try again.  Nope.

I looked up the restaurant's phone number, and called it to see if maybe someone from the inside accidentally locked the front door.  Then I looked in the dining area, which I could see from the outside when standing close to the building.  Not a soul.  A light was from the other side.

Where was the "KARAOKE TONIGHT"???  Certainly not here.

I hear the Pine Burr has decent wings.  They were supposed to be open at 8:00 on a Friday night.  I was really hungry for wings.  Now that I'm on a healthier diet (more on that in a future post), I won't be having many wings.  So they missed out on Plenty-of-Wing-Eatin' Brian.  Now they have the guy who forces veggies down his throat begrudgingly.

Did they go out of business?  Hard to believe.

My wife reminded me that once we went here for lunch and they were closed then too, even though they were supposed to be open according to the hours on the door.

I could have said wonderful things about you, Pine Burr Inn.  But now all you are is a restaurant that wasn't open when you said you would be.

1 comment:

  1. Brian, I enjoy your blog. I've lived my entire life in Sunbury, so I know some of the places you have been to. I was to the Pine Burr Inn, several times in 2004 to have their nachos, which I must say, in my mind's eye, were delicious. A huge serving. At that time, the restaurant and bar area, was busy. The actual Inn part, I never stayed in, but it always looked to me, back then, as if it was furnished in 1968.

    ReplyDelete