Monday, May 7, 2012

Sweet Pizzz Pizza- Frackville, PA

A long time ago, there was this place called Rocky's Pizza. They had two locations, one in Frackville and one in Mahanoy City. While I was never too crazy about their pizza (it was okay, but Pizza Place in Frackville had my heart at that point), I always found myself craving their wings. I can remember having friends over for Monday Night to watch the wrestling shows that were on at the time, and we would always get a party platter of Rocky's wings and go to town. Rocky's went out of business some time in middle of the last decade, and their building in Frackville was torn down in order to make more parking lot space for the Dutch Kitchen.

 Based on my last review, you all know how I feel about the Dutch Kitchen, but still, the business must not have been enough to keep Rocky's going. In addition to the wings, they were also known for some fairly unique-for-the-time menu items such as their Chicken BBQ Pizza, which was a rarity for me because most others preferred "traditional" Pizza. Years have come and gone, and while most people Rave about Black Diamond Wings (and I love them too), I actually preferred Rocky's. Well, recently Rocky's Wings have come back to Frackville- not as Rocky's, but as a menu item Sweet Pizzz Pizza. I don't get the third "z" in Pizzz. It reads to me like urination, but whatever.

 Sweet Pizzz has been around for a few years now- and I know they have other locations other than the one in Frackville, so they are, like Rocky's before it, becoming a "mini-chain" of sorts. I don't know for sure, but I am guessing that this is the people behind the old Rocky's Pizza with a new name. As an aside, Rocky's used to have these "so bad it's good" commercials on local television, narrated by a anthropomorphic Pizza Slice that spoke with the voice of a horrible Sylvester Stallone impersonator. I ordered wings a few months ago, and they were exactly as I had remembered. Just eh right amount of spice, with a hint of sweetness. Rocky's wing sauce (and I get what is now on the menu as "Rocky's mild") is also a great dipping sauce for french fries and other kinds of fried foods which your cardiologist doesn't want you to eat.

 Their wings, both now and then, are on the larger side, with a fairly generous amount of meat on the bone. Some wings in the area are possibly eaten in a bite or two- not the wings at Sweet Pizzz. I still don't like the superfluous third Z. I had their pizza last night. As the name suggests, it is "sweet sauce", a Schuylkill County thing that also can be had at both Pizza Place in Frackville and Centiole's Pizza. Both of these places will get reviews in the future, but regardless, they all have some variation of "sweet sauce". I found the sauce at Sweet Pizzz to be sweet but not overly so. I would put it somewhere in the middle between the cloyingly sweet Centiole's and the not-too-sweet-but-still-sweet Pizza Place. There's a good flavor to their sauce. 

What interests me about this pizza, though, is the combination of sauce and cheese. Sweet Pizzz has a fairly substantial amount of cheese on their pizza, and whatever the mixture is, it is an excellent combination with the sauce. They also package in some "Hot Sauce", which is more like a spicier version of their regular pizza sauce, with some visible pepper and onion in it. It adds a little more bite to the pizza, but isn't essential in my opinion. Sweet Pizzz is a relatively new edition to the Pizza landscape in Frackville, a town with already 400 Pizza restaurants in it, which was probably a reason the old Rocky's Pizza wasn't sustainable. I would love to see some new things tried in my hometown, but I'm fairly certain some of what I wish for wouldn't really succeed in this town. This is a town that loves its pizza, so more pizza places it gets. In comparison with some other pizza restaurants, Sweet Pizzz is on the more expensive side. You could get some excellent Sweet Sauce Pizza for a lot cheaper at Pizza Place just up the street. Still, you could do a lot worse than Sweet Pizzz. The pizza is pretty good, and the wings are excellent. Just please, someone get them to get rid of the third "Z".

Sweet Pizzz Pizza
 301 South Lehigh Ave
Frackville, PA
(570)874-1112

No comments:

Post a Comment