Monday, August 20, 2012

I ate a veggie burger last night..

And I lived to tell the tale.

I was at Brewser's Sportsgrille in Shamokin, where right now they have a deal where $5 gets you one of their really delicous burgers along with a heaping pile of their own homemade potato chips.  The best value, in my opinion, is the Potbelly burger which is a nice, big beef burger topped with cheese and pulled pork barbecue.

But on this night, I opted for the Veggie burger instead.  I am hardly a vegetarian or anything like that (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I figured I could go for at least a little bit of a healthier meal.

The verdict?  Well, I find myself questioning where this burger came from.  Okay, okay, I know I ordered it at Brewser's, but is this a homemade veggie burger?  I doubt it.  It was a bigger version of the same veggie patty that Burger King used to sell (and maybe still do) as the BK Veggie.  I've tried a number of veggie burger varieties.  My favorite would be a type I tried from Morningstar Farms that used Black Beans as its main base.

As far as Brewser's Veggie Burger goes, it's just a regular veggie burger, and it didn't stand out above and beyond any other veggie burger I've had.  I put a ton of ketchup on it like I have almost every time I've tried one.  It's a shame, because Brewsers has such good options on their menu, and I get the feeling that this item is simply there for Vegetarians, like a placeholder, so that they can say they have some vegetarian options (and I shouldn't be too mean, because they have some salads too).

All I can say is that I am glad I am not a vegetarian.  I have dabbled with it before, but have never lasted long.  Brewser's isn't the only restaurant that does this, in fact there's a lot that do.  But if I was a vegetarian, I would be a little bored of the options that are out there, especially in this particular corner of the earth. 

It wasn't the worst thing I've eaten, but it didn't make me do backflips, either.  It was just kind of there.

Still love those chips at Brewser's, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment