Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Polish Dog at Brewser's SportsGrille

Nothing better.  Except maybe a Tony's Screamer.




Look at this picture.

This is a hot dog, a very big one at that, covered in what we in the Region call "Halushki".  You can look it up on The Google, but what you will find is many recipes, hearkening back to many of the Polish immigrants that once came and settled in Pennsylvania, that lead to making this wonderful dish of buttered dough, onion, egg noodles, and cabbage.  Don't knock it until you've tried it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Let me back up.

About two weeks ago, my wife and I went to Brewser's Sportsgrille, which I reviewed in one of my first entries on this blog.  Brewser's was "so-so" back when I first reviewed it.  Since then, however, I've eaten there many times, and I can say that they are adding dynamic new things to their menu, and their beer selection is second to none.  The service has improved greatly, and I can say that now this has become one of my regular places. In the past year or so, Brewser's has become one of the best restaurants in Shamokin, if not the entire coal region itself.  Some day I will get around to talking about my favorite thing on their menu, the Potbelly Burger.  But for now, let's talk about that picture you see at the top of this entry.

One of the new menu additions the last time I was there was the Polish Hot Dog.  I am sad to say that it is no longer on the menu, as it was a July specialty, but hopefully they will add it back at a later time. This was part of a $5 Hot Dog special, and for only an Abe Lincoln, you got what you see above.  The Hot Dog was thick and juicy, full of a rich texture and a great salty flavor (but not overly so).  This was not a cheap hot dog that you get when the Girl Scouts are selling 2 for $1 dogs outside of the grocery store.  No, this was a good tasting, filling hunk of meat perfectly accented by the deliciously cooked halushki.  There was so much halushki on this dog that I had enough to make a little side plate full of the stuff and still have plenty on the dog. 

My mouth is watering every time I look at that picture above.  I can't help it.

If anyone from Brewser's is reading this: PLEASE put this back on the menu.  They had a number of specialty hot dogs on the menu that were a July-only selection, probably because it was summer and everyone associates a good hot dog with this time of year.  At least I do.  Sadly, as a limited-time only deal, as of August 1st this wonderful dough-and-cabbage topped piece of heaven is no longer available.  Again, please bring it back, Brewser's!

No comments:

Post a Comment