Saturday, November 9, 2013

Return to Rob's Good Time Grill- Shamokin, PA

Over a year ago, I reviewed Rob's Good Time Grill.  It might even have been longer than that, but I have to do my actual job today so I don't really have time to look back in the archives and see.

Regardless, at the time I lamented what had become of this establishment in its transition time between moving from the corner of Mulberry and Market in Shamokin to the bigger, more restaurant friendly location two blocks down (now the corner of Spruce and Market).

I've been back a few times since, but hadn't given an update until now.  I had been back before for their bargain 2-Can-Dine-for-$12.99 Sunday afternoon deal, as well as for their Wednesday Night Polish Night (the latter is especially good), but haven't gotten to write about a recent experience until now.  Here goes!

My wife and I walked down the street (it's only about two blocks from our house) on a Saturday afternoon to have a late lunch a few weeks ago.  We were quickly seated and given our menus.

The first thing you notice when you walk inside of Rob's Good Time Grill is the huge bar and television screens.  At least, it was the first thing I noticed.  There's also a very large cooler with just about any kind of takeout beer you would want.  I glanced by and found Woodchuck Cider, one of my personal favorites but something that not everyone carries around here.

Anyway, I ordered my traditional favorite, the Smokehouse Cheesesteak, while Michelle ordered a grilled chicken sandwich.  We also had Onion Dippers as an appetizer.  These are very similar to the onion petals that Arby's has as a menu option, except crunchier and with a very, very nice kick that doesn't come in the sauce.  I wonder if there's sriracha in the batter.

After those were done, we received our sandwiches.  I was nervous about my order, as before I had ordered the Smokehouse Cheesesteak, which is supposed to have barbecue sauce and cheddar cheese, in various variations, some of which included tomato sauce, some of which were just straight barbecue sauce with no cheese, and one which actually matched the menu description.  That said, those orders were a long time ago.

My sandwich this time, in the here-and-now, was exactly what it was supposed to be.  I did notice that Rob himself was around (I think he was carrying items into the kitchen), as was Pam, his wife, so I'm willing to bet that they've been trying to monitor what comes out of their kitchen (and I do stand corrected- Rob apparently has never cooked in either this restaurant or at the Six Pack Shack).  Whatever they've been doing, it's working.  The Smokehouse Cheesesteak at Rob's Good Time Grill stands as one of my favorite cheesesteaks I've ever had.  The barbecue sauce has a way of mixing with the cheese to create a wonderful, smoky, sweet, spicy taste adventure that is just pure enjoyment.

I also tried their chili coco wings, which sounded different enough to appease me.  They were very good, sweet but spicy, with a definite coco undertone.  They're probably not everyone's bag, but I could have had more (I ordered a half dozen, which was probably enough with a cheesesteak).

About a week later, Michelle and I decided to call down to Rob's for a takeout order.  I once again opted for the Smokehouse Cheesesteak.  I wanted to check with the person on the phone that I was getting the right thing, so I asked, "what all comes on that?"

"Uh, well, I don't actually know," the girl on the line said.  Then she giggled a little bit.

This did not leave me feeling confident that I was going to get what I wanted.  I think she should have been a bit more familiar with the menu.  Even if she had one right there, which I know they do, she could have taken a moment or two to look and tell me.

I let the order stand anyway, waited about 20 minutes, and picked up the order.

When I got home, it was once again the correct Smokehouse Cheesesteak in all its glory.  Michelle still got the grilled chicken sandwich.  It was still good, so she said.  She gets those things fairly often because of the health thing.  I didn't care that day.  I just wanted some good ol' red meat with cheese and barbecue sauce, health be darned.

Anyway, Rob's Good Time Grill's growing pains seem to be over.  They've gotten back onto our regular rotation, which means they get our business about 2-3 times a month.

Rob's Good Time Grill
100 S Market St, Shamokin, PA 17872
(570) 648-1191

No comments:

Post a Comment